Five tips for making chores fun for the kids | Scoopin' Dog Poo Hunting Fam Kid Style
When it comes to having dogs, we all know there is a not so glamorous side to things! Poop scoopin' round here is a family affair and the kids generally have a blast while doing it! As much as you can while cleanin' up after dogs I guess!
I just wanted to share with you five ways to make it fun for them:
1. Make a game out of it! Pretend that we have to clean it all up to save the princess or that we are collecting "gold!" Either way, it helps the kids get their imaginations going and time passes much quicker!
2. Get them their own shovels! We got Jack and Khloe their little shovels so they were easier for them to handle... game changer!! They absolutely love them and cannot wait until they get the chance to shovel snow or poo... whatever gives them an excuse!
3. Wait until the dogs are gone! We have found that it is easiest to do the big haul when dad is gone with the dogs! Our dogs are quite friendly and think they need to join in on the fun when they are around! It still needs to be done regardless and this has helped, but we also put them in the backyard if needed!
4. Get your kids a cool pair of boots they love! My kids LOVE to scour the sites for a pair of chore boots with me! Crazy I know, but it's true! I want them to have a pair of chore shoes that they picked out so they are excited when they get to wear them! One requirement I have is that they can be sprayed off when we are done! Makes cleanup a breeze when you can spray them off!
5. Tip to make mom's life easier; have separate chore coats and regular coats! Kids aren't always the most careful when doing chores and I've spent too many nights washing coats + trying to make sure they are dry by the next morning so they can wear them to school!
The hand-me-down coats for the younger kids generally become their chore coats and they get a new coat (which I buy too big) every couple of years.
The DI or yard sales is another great option for a bargain coat that your kids may most likely ruin anyways!
BONUS TIP: Let them video what they do! We bought a GoPro this year because I didn't want my kids touching my camera and I wasn't quite ready to buy a Vlogging camera until I knew how much we might use it! The GoPro is pretty durable and the price point was lower. This put a lot less stress on me when letting the kids use it, but they are warned to be very careful!
They made the video above and had a blast while doing it! I feel that when you give your kids the reins on things like this, they act like their true selves + feel like big kids! Can I say confidence booster?! You should have seen their eyes light up when I told them they could do a video!
We clean the dog areas two to three times a week unless the weather is crazy! This winter we have been lucky and the weather has cooperated quite well! Who knew January would provide many days of 50 degree weather?! Let's just say that we are thoroughly enjoying Southern Utah!
My favorite sites to find boots and coats on are 6pm.com and sierratradingpost.com! They have great stuff at amazing prices!
Anywho, we are having a great time documenting our journey and thank you for tagging along!
We hope you have a fantastic day!